Job DescriptionHibiscus Surf School on Main Beach, Mount Maunganui, is looking for a Head Instructor and Surf School Manager for the 2017-2018 summer season. The position is a full time, 6 month Fixed Term contract position.
- Teaching beginner surf lessons to children and adults. This includes school groups, tourists, local programs, hens/stag do’s, charity work, and more.
- Hiring out surf equipment to customers, assessing their ability level and providing safety information specific to Main Beach (including location specific information on rips, currents, tides, and other safety tips).
- Training and monitoring other instructors and beach managers on Hibiscus Surf School’s systems and operations, including surf lesson structure, scheduling, equipment hire, and health and safety procedures.
- Setting up the surf school tent, signs and equipment display at Main Beach, and tearing down at the end of the day.
- Assessing customers and providing them with proper equipment for their needs and the conditions.
- Maintaining surf school equipment to a high standard.
- Assist with sales and scheduling of lessons, helping maintain a clear, accurate lesson diary and roster.
- Taking credit card, eftpos and cash payments.
- Providing daily summaries of sales, conditions, safety and lesson outcomes.
- Current International Surfing Association (ISA) Surf Coaching Qualification
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Previous surf coaching experience at a Surfing New Zealand or ISA registered surf school
- Extensive water safety knowledge and experience
- Previous customer service experience
The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years surfing experience. Additional qualifications or experience teaching outdoor activities, water safety, school groups, sales and management are helpful. Knowledge and experience of the ocean conditions in the Mount Maunganui area is helpful. Reliability and excellent communication skills are essential.